In the mid 1800’s this town was know as ‘Coarse-Gold Gluch’ after the coarse nuggets the miners found in the nearby streams. Over one and a half million dollars havebeen mined from the creeks in this area. The Texas Flat Gold Mine is the best known and was the most extensively worked mine in the Coarsegold vicinity. Two Texas brothers started the mine when they found a single nugget worth $15,000, about a mile west of here. By 1850, 10,000 people lived in the fields and hills behind downtown Coarsegold.
Besides Texas Flat, there were 18 other recorded mines in this district. Today, locals and tourists still dig up the occasional nugget in Coarsegold Creek, less than 75 feet from the Coarsegold Village parking lot.
The well house, built in 1852 is on display in our courtyard. It served as a major watering hole for weary and dusty travelers on stage coaches and horseback. It sat in the center of Highway 41 for years.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.